A number of resources are available from the Dead Space Project on St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. They can be downloaded or are linked to on this page.
Book of Maps
A Book of Maps for St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 containing 12 maps showing urban change around the site from 1723 and multiple maps of condition survey data was produced, along with the survey and illustrated survey manual.
Summary data and images for the full inventory of St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is available for download. The 365 page report contains two cemetery lots per page, as in example shown below.
A coloring book for St. Louis No. 1 Cemetery No. 1 was created using photographs of tombs at St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. Have Fun!
Selected Papers & Articles
A number of papers, theses, and articles have been written about the Dead Space Project. Selected papers are highlighted below.
- Collaborative Studio Report - Full History Chapter
- Tourism - A Conservation Tool for St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, L. Meyer, J. Peters
- Preserving New Orleans' Cities of the Dead, F. Matero, J. Peters
- New Orleans Cemetery Metalwork, S. Curtis
- A GIS Analysis of Biodeterioration, K. Song
- Thesis Abstract: "Modeling of Tomb Decay at St. Louis Cemetery No. 1: The Role of Material Properties and the Environment", J. Peters
- Thesis Abstract: "St. Louis I Cemetery, New Orleans: Transitional Composite Metalwork, (19th- C)", S. Curtis
- Tomb Addition Scenarios, F. Matero, J. Hinchman
- Adopt A Tomb Brochure, J. Hinchman
- Thesis: Resurrecting St. Louis No. 1 Cemetery, Joseph C. Torres. II
Project in Print
Throughout the project, public outreach programs educated and involved families, school children, local craftspeople, tour guides, tourists, the preservation community, and the general public.
- Research Gets Rolling, SOCGram Sept/Oct. 2000
- Groups Team Up to Preserve Old Cemeteries, Times-Picayune, Mar. 15, 2001
- Dead Space, Preservation in Print, May 2001
- Tomb Restorations Completed in St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, SOCGram July/Aug 2001
- Not Just a Map: GIS Comes to New Orleans Cemetery, Preservation in Print, Aug. 2001
- Save Our Cemeteries Restores 3 Tombs: Preservation in Print, Aug. 2001
- New Orleans Cemeteries: A Restoration Challenge, Preservation in Print, Sept. 2001
- Finding Facts, Preservation in Print, Sept. 2001
- Craftsmen for the Next Generation, Preservation in Print, Sept. 2001
- Dead Space: The Creole Cemeteries of New Orleans, Penn in Ink, Sept, 2001
- Federal SAT Grant Awarded, SOCGram, Sept/Oct. 2001
- Tomb Restoration Workshop a Success, SOCGram Sept/Oct 2001
- Save America's Treasures - The Project, SOCGram May/June 2002
- Update: Save America's Treasures Grant - SOCGram Aug/Sept 2002
- Save America's Treasures, SOCGram Jan/Feb 2003
- Stopping the Hands of Time: Nine Tips for Cemetery Restoration. Not reporting on the project per se, but contains additional resources not found on our "Get Involved" page.
Watch the following video of project director Frank Matero discuss New Orleans cemeteries.